Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Tree on Potato



While i was looking for ideas on what to make for the White Christmas Challenge, i came upon this Christmas Sushi. I thought it was pretty cute. I could have made a sushi since i have all the ingredients in my kitchen but i was just a little lazy to cook the sushi rice, well it's not difficult to cook sushi rice , it's just that i  didnt feel like doing that at that moment. So this idea is very much inspired by that Christmas Sushi. Actually i think making this is more like playing with food. I was just looking around in the kitchen and see what else can i used instead of making a sushi christmas tree. Ok , i see potatoes. Going to use that as a base for that christmas tree then. OK friends, my christmas tree may not look as pretty as the sushi christmas tree, or maybe you think it doesnt look like a christmas tree at all..hohoho! I roasted  some potatoes but now i think probably i need not roast the potatotes , maybe just boil it till just a little tender, i also think we need not flavour the potatoes because the tuna and avocado spread is quite a lot here, i dont think we would be able to taste the flavour of that little piece of potato here. The base of the christmas tree is potatoes, the tree itself is tuna with avocado spread, the fish eggs is for decoration and the mayonnaise is for ..errr..artificial snow.

Ingredients:
2 potatoes, peeled and each cut into halved
2 avocados
1 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
1 can of tuna ( i used ayam brand tuna chunks in water, drained )
some fish eggs and mayonnaise for decoration.


Here's what i did:
1. Boil the potatoes till their edge is a little soft ( takes around 10 minutes ), remove the water from the pan, place the lid back, shake the potatoes in the pot so that they turn floury. Remove and season them with salt and drizzle some olive oil onto your roasting pan and bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 30 minutes.  ( after eating this, i would think you can just boil the potatoes till cook is good enough , not necessary to roast them )
2. Meanwhile, you can make your spread. Mash the avocado , put in the lemon juice. In another bowl, mash the tuna till they become flakes, then add in the mashed avocado by spoonfuls till you get a spreadable or workable consistency. Mix them all together. Cut off a little top of the potatoes so that your spread can sit nicely on the potatoes. Using a gloves, take a small piece of that spread and shape into a cone shape and place that on top of that potato. Using a butter knife, slowly cover the base with more avocado spread and a little on the tree.
3.Sprinkle with fish eggs and pipe some mayonnaise around the tree.


Will be submitting this to the White Christmas Challenge organised by Very Good Recipes via Quay Po Cooks

Also am submitting this to the Aspiring Bakers Event #14 - Creative Christmas Bakes (Dec 2011 ) organised by Hankerie

41 comments:

  1. Hi Lena, wow... very creative. Can pass me 2 trees for decoration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love Christmas themed food..and I rarely see savoury themed stuff. This is really genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. really want to say You Are Creative!
    by only looking at the picture, i thought u making the Christmas tree by using what you know...Siew Mai...haha, sorry the colors and texture when looking from far, yellowish a bit like the siew mai skin, and the top is the meat, and then fish eggs as decor...
    after reading the contents, i like your ideas, the Christmas trees are so cute and i can finish up many of these trees...
    Merry Christmas to you and your family, Lena! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you and your family, Lena. The Christmas tree is healthy and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice trees! My kids had been bugging me for a Christmas tree. I don't mind the decoration but I hate the unpacking. This sure is a good way to satisfy their desire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, that's a very unique creation you did with potatoes, Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great snowy effect by the mayonnaise, brilliant idea of a Christmas potatotree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another incredible creation! Thanks again for submitting this entry for the challenge. Your Christmas trees rawkz!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a delicious Christmas Tree! Really creative of you to come with something like this! Great job, Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops... good luck with the Challenge!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done...that is one delicious christmas tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. how creative! this reminds me, i've not made anything for this month's AB yet! geez, christmas is coming too soon! haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesDecember 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM

    Wow, this is creative! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a creative Christmas trees! Merry Christmas n Happy New Year to you n family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. sungguh kreatif:) so cute....Merry Christmas dan happy new year buat Lena sekeluarga..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena this is so innovative!

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is extremely creative! and so cute!!! And looking at it, i know it is delicious as well.. practical and looks perfect for christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lena, this is really original! Looks yummy too....can serve as a starter in dinner parties, cool! Your Xmas tree beats mine for sure, I would choose yours any day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a very delicious Christmas! Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lena, these look so festive and christmassy! I want! I want! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful photos, very much of your Christmas trees
    Merry Christmas Lena,
    kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would surely love a tree or two in my stomach :) It looks so yummy and healthy! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautiful!
    I love your blog and your "bake along" and I d like to participate sometimes!
    Nice finding you!
    Visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lena,
    Very cute Christmas Trees, good work, wishing you & family "Merry Christmas & A Very Happy New Year"

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute. :D Merry Xmas to u and yr family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hummmmmmm... muito delicioso mesmo!!!

    …………()
    …………( )
    ………|░░░|
    ………|░░░|
    ………|░░░|
    ………|░░░|
    °º♫✿ ♪FELIZ
    °º✿ NATAL!!!
    º° ✿♥ ♫° ·.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ingenious! Brilliant! Simply amazing!!! You always have such wonderful surprises for us when we pop in Lena. I think what I love about these festive "trees" the most, besides how cute they are, is how versatile the whole concept is. My mind is racing...As soon as I get this patch off my eye and the world is not a mass of blur, I will be trying this for sure. I'm thinking a salmon and avocado topping! If I can convince Marion to let me in the kitchen Christmas morning, I may even attempt these delights for company Christmas morning.

    Thank you so much for sharing...I'm probably not going to be able to come back before Christmas so, I wish you and yours a Very Merry Christmas, Lena. It has been wonderful getting to know you and your delicious blog:) Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Woah, that is super creative! and very pretty and festive.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  29. hi my friends, seriously i think it doesnt look too appealing but all of you are so kind with your positive comments, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow, these look good!! you are so creative. they look very appealing to me lah. are you making tang yuen tonight? happy dong zhi my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  31. tt's very creative to use whatever ingredients on hand =) i like it!! combines all my fav ingredients tog esp avocado and mayo.. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Merry Christmas to you & your family too, Lena. Sorry that I'm late! hehe.... Anyway, wishing you the very best. I'm sure you had a great time back then. Whoa, your savory X'mas tree looks really tempting~lah!
    And also not forgetting to wish you a very Happy 2012! Hope all the good things coming your way.
    Blessings,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesDecember 31, 2011 at 5:13 PM

    Happy New Year to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lena, Remember I said, if any entries submitted to the White Christmas Challenge through Quay Po Cooks wins a prize at VGR, they will get an extra price from me which is my son's band, ROSEVELT's first Album named 17:25? Well, the result is not out yet but to me, whoever have given me the support is a winner in my heart already. May I have your address so that I can courier the CD to you? My email is quaypocooks@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow! I loved your creativity! :) These look amazing!
    -
    Kavi (Edible Entertainment)

    ReplyDelete