Sunday, December 18, 2011

Yeasted Apple Strudel ( Strucla Jablkami )


This is a kind of strudel but a yeasted type instead of pastry . I read from the internet that  in Poland, these yeasted strudels are very popular and eaten all year round but are more commonly served around christmas and holidays and the most popular ones are the poppy seeds strudel ( Strucla Makiem ) because the Poles believe that poppyseeds bring good luck. But instead of a poppy seeds strudel, i made an apple strudel (strucla jablkami ) also in a yeasted form. The fillings are delicious with sliced apples and  i replaced the raisins with dried  cranberries and comes with a mixture of ground cinnamon, butter and icing sugar. There's also some  breadcrumbs in the fillings but i dont know what happened to them, i cant get to feel them. The strudel is rich, soft and flavourful and i'm sure many of you will enjoy eating this.



Recipe ( adapted from la petite patisserie diza with some modifications )
Ingredients:
To make strudel dough
200gm bread flour ( you may need to add in more, i added 4 more tbsp during the kneading )
50gm cake flour
1 tsp instant yeast
55gm caster sugar
1/8 tsp of salt
1 egg
120ml milk
40gm butter

Fillings:
1 apple ( i shld have used 2 apples )
2 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
30gm butter, diced
20gm cranberries

1 beaten egg for brushing and icing sugar for dusting

Method:
1.Put in flour, yeast, sugar, salt in a mixing bowl and using your dough hook, mix them around. Slowly add in the egg and milk and with your machine still running , continue beating till a round dough is formed. Add in the butter and continue beating until the dough is smooth to touch. It takes about 10 minutes. The dough is slightly wet, i added 4 tbsps of bread flour to it during the beating process. Remove to a floured surface, shape into a ball and let proof for about 1.5-2 hrs in a slightly floured big bowl.
2. After almost the dough completes it proofing, you can start making the fillings. Slice the apples thinly. Set aside. Mix the icing sugar, bread crumbs, ground cinnamon together in a bowl and leave aside.
3.Remove the dough from the bowl to a floured surface and with a rolling pin, roll them to a large and thin sheet. Spread the cinnamon, sugar and bread crumbs mixture followed by cranberries and sliced apples and diced butter. Roll them up like a swiss roll and seal the edges.  Let proof in a baking tin for another 45mins to 1 hour.
4. Brush with egg wash ( optional ) and bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 40minutes.

Will be submitting this post to participate in the White Christmas Challenge organised by Very Good Recipes via Quay Po Cooks

28 comments:

  1. what nice and amazing apple strudel I loved it Lena:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds so lovely! I love the combination of apples, cinnamon and dried fruit! Perfect for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why the Polish want to have this all year round!!!! Your kitchen will smell so good with all these sweet scents. What I also like is that you did something a little different from the usually christmas cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this version of strudel!Thanks for sharing,dear!Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so many types of ingredients inside the strudel make it rich in flavors and look so yummy :).... mind to share 1 piece with me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hhmmm Lena, this makes me drool :)
    is it similar to stollen?

    ReplyDelete
  7. MmmmmI love apple strudel this looks so yummy. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a salivating and creative strudel recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the yeasted version! Looks much softer, yum! Have never tried baking a strudel bread before...but I think my parents will love this one. Thanks Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesDecember 18, 2011 at 11:29 PM

    Lena, this looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos, wish I had this right now to go with my coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow.. a Poland dessert ! Really something new and interesting.. and this apple strudel looks so tempting that I am feeling hungry now !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena, your strudel looks so tempting. Very professional bake and lovely photos. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lena...I am hungry just looking at your strudel :) thanks for sharing the recipes. Merry Xmas and a happy New Year to you and family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I can differentiate btw yeasty and pastry....as long as it taste good! oops!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I read this post, it is 3.15pm, tea time, I am swallowing down my own saliva. This is so good to be my snack now, how I wish?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your apple studel looks so good! The bread looks so fluffy and soft, yum!
    I love the addition of dried cranberries, this is one lovely bake, Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is indeed delicious looking! Love the look of the icing sugar on top and the swirl of the dried fruits inside. It's screaming tea time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww.... I tot u'd be using the fresh ones in your freezer. Still leaving that for something better in mind?? ^v^

    ReplyDelete
  20. So beautiful and Christmassy! Perfect for the Yuletide season! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love streusels... but I never made one myself. I find it strange to have bread flour and cake flour in one recipe, do you know why?

    Happy holidays, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  22. any chance you are taking orders? I will pay you double! LOL! Seriously this bread looks amazing, sounds amazing and it is making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. mmm.... yummy.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lena, Many thanks for your support and this lovely entry. Fits the White Christmas theme perfectly! I know I will like this more than the pastry type strudel.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a reminder. Haven't eaten apple strudel for a long long time. I want some right now. I better make one soon.
    Thanks for sharing your version A/S.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the link. It's beautiful!
    iza:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Only one small comment - in Polish it is called "Strucla z jabłkami"; the rest is correct - it is very delicious and popular here.

    ReplyDelete