Thursday, December 26, 2013

Fattoush Salad


Fattoush is a bread salad that is common and popular in some Mediterranean and Arab countries. It is made with mixed greens, vegetables and some toasted pita bread pieces. I purposely kept 1 pita in the freezer from the batch of pita breads that i made earlier to make this salad. I toasted the pita in my oven while i was preparing the rest of the ingredients. Some recipes that i checked online use lettuce as the main green while some add red radish to it. I used a combination of romaine and our local lettuce here, i also have a bit of oak leaves in the fridge so that goes in as well, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, mint and parsley.

At the same time, i also received some sumac, compliments from Shannon so i thought it is good to put that to use which i read that it is a nice stuff to be added to fattoush which gives a slightly tangy flavour. Those red speckles you see on the salad are the sumac. The pita pieces are tossed with the dressing, can let the salad sit for a while to allow the pita to soak up a bit of the dressing, it's actually quite nice to me eating that bit soaked pita and it is not soggy as what you think. I enjoyed eating this salad a lot, it is crunchy and refreshing with the lemony tangy dressing.



Recipe ( reference fr here ) with changes
serves 2
6 big lettuce leaves, chopped ( i used a combination of romaine and local lettuce )
a handful of oak leaves, chopped
1 Japanese cucumber, cut into cubes
10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 shallots, sliced
a handful of parsley and mint leaves, chopped
1 piece of toasted pita bread, torn into pieces

Dressing ( you may not need to use all )
1 clove garlic
1.5 tsp sumac
juice from 1 lemon
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and pepper

Method:
1. For dressing, mashed the garlic with a little salt , add in sumac and lemon juice. Whisk in the olive oil and set the dressing aside.
2. Put all the chopped salad leaves, onion, tomatoes, parsley and mint in a large bowl and pour in half of the seasoning. Toss in the pita bread and add in more seasoning. Let the salad sit for a while to let flavours blend and the pita chips absorb some dressing.
3. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with more sumac if desired.


I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( West Asia ) hosted by Shannon of Just As Delish

13 comments:

  1. Hello Lena! Love your beautiful salad. Fattoush is one of my favorites, it's so fresh and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing beats a fresh and homemade salad.... This one's a keeper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple dressing with fresh vegetables. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want this salad! Looks so light yet full of flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good use of sumac. I love light salads like this and I think you nailed it Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love salads and this is up my alley. Wishing you a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena,
    I love eating salads like this! And great that you have Sumac! It's a wonderful spice, one that I really like a lot!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous salad! love the flavors here - I happen to adore Sumac!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't made this kind of salad for quiet sometime :P Maybe because it's too healthy lol

    ReplyDelete