Happy New Year and May the New Year 2014 bring joy and peace to us all!
Recipe ( as seen in Bake for Happy Kids, from the book Bill's Everyday Asian )
10 chicken wings *
1 tbsp oil, plus extra for brushing
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 long red chilli ( omitted )
4 tbsp mirin
4 tbsp soy sauce/kikkoman
110gm white sugar
1tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 200C ( I used 170C fan forced ). Line a roasting tray with non stick baking paper.
2. Place the wings on a tray and roast for 25mins or until starting to brown. Meanwhile heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and chilli until garlic is turning brown.
3. Add the mirin, sake and soy sauce and cook until liquid has been reduced by half.
4. Removed the chicken from oven and pour over the sticky mirin mixture or you can toss to coat on the saucepan and return to oven , basting occasionally for about 15 mins. Scatter with sesame seeds.
* I separate the drummettes and the wingettes and roast on 2 trays on top and bottom level of the oven.
I am linking this post to Cook Like A Star ( Bill Granger ) organised by Bake for Happy Kids, Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out and Mich of Piece of Cake