Saturday, December 21, 2013

Peppermint Bark Chocolate Shortbread




Do not laugh when i say that i have never eaten a candy cane before. I know it tastes peppermint because everyone says so. I received a couple of candy canes during a christmas gathering at a church last year and i gave it to the children..but when i saw Chris posted some elegant shortbreads last week with candy canes. i was very keen to try. Firstly, It is just not candy cane , it is a shortbread and the shortbread is also studded with chocolate all over. Secondly, it is also simple to make. We just need to cream the butter and sugar and add in the flour, pat it on the tart pan, bake and we are almost done with it. When it's ready, sprinkle the candy canes and the choc chips all over and return to oven for 2 mins and the shortbread is ready.


Is candy cane only available at this time of the year? i cant seem to find candy canes from the supermarket and i finally got it from Famous Amos cookies outlet. I have added some cocoa powder to make a chocolate version of shortbread, if you prefer non chocolate ones, then you can add in all 125gm plain flour. Recipe can be easily doubled. Watch out for the baking time as we do not want to overbake these shortbreads otherwise they will turn out to be hard cookies. It will harden as it cools. This delightful shortbreads are also quick to make, get the butter out few hours before work on it, a lovely treat for the holiday season.



Recipe ( from The Cafe Sucre Farine )
makes three 41/2 inches shortbread
4oz butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/4tsp salt
110gm plain flour
15gm cocoa powder
2-3 medium sized candy canes
enough chocolate chips to sprinkle ( i used a mixture of regular and twin choc chips)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 175C. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper if desired and place tart pans with removable bottom on top of the parchment paper.
2. Crush the candy canes into pieces with a rolling pin or use a knife to chop them into pieces.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar till soft and fluffy, this will take 2-3 mins. Add salt and mix to combine.
4. Divide the dough between the tart pans with removable bottoms. Pat dough into pan to form a level surface. Dough should not come more than 1/2 way up sides of the pan to allow rising during baking. Place shortbread in oven for 20-25 mins. Remove from oven.
5.Top immediately with 1 tablespoon of crushed peppermint and fill the rest of the spots with choc chips.
6. Return to oven for exactly 2 mins, remove and transfer pans to a cooling rack.

I am submitting this post to Baby Sumo's Christmas Recipes Collection 2013 hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out

15 comments:

  1. Hi Lena , looks so festive , love peppermint and this is a must try , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena
    It looks so gorgeous sprinkle with the peppermint candy; perfect to serve for this christmas meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't eat Candy Canes all that often either Lena. I think you did a fabulous job creating this Peppermint Bark Chocolate Shortbread. It looks so festive and I'm sure it tastes just right too:)

    We actually celebrate National Candy Cane Day here in the US on December 26th. I even have an entire Pinterest board devoted to Candy Cane Day. You would not believe the amazing creations others make with Candy Canes. Today I saw a Candy Cane Vodka which I just had to Pin. I will definitely be adding your Peppermint Bark Shortbread to the board:)

    I'll be posting an intriguing Candy Cane "recipe" on Sunday. (Monday for you:) If you get a chance, pop on over:)

    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe Lena...You did terrific!


    If you want to see my Candy Cane board, here's the link.

    P.S. You really need to get on Pinterest:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, louise. I hv an account on pinterest but i hardly go in. I wld like to see the candy cane board. What's the link?

      Delete
    2. Hi Lena! You're on Pinterest??? What's your link???

      I just did a Candy Cane post today and included the link to my Candy Cane Board. Here's the link to the Pinterest board if you want to take a peek:) Have FUN!!!

      Delete
    3. http://www.pinterest.com/wflena/..it's quite bare there...

      Delete
  4. when i saw this, i went awwwwww.... isn't this pretty?? i'd punch a hole in the middle and hang it up like a wreath! so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty, makes one go all warm and fuzzy just by looking at it! Blessed Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Lena, how fun, I love your chocolate version. I feel honored that you liked my shortbread, thank youl Christmas blessings and kind regards to you and your family! ~ Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena, these short bread are so pretty and festive! Simply love the colours. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! I love the festive red and green. This will make a good gift for sure. Wishing you and your family a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena,
    Very festive yummy! Definitely spells out Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking this to my Christmas event, Lena. I've never had chocolate shortbread before.... maybe I can ask my hubby to make next time. :) Usually candy cane is sold from Nov-Dec in KL too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't tried it as well er since I don't like peppermint lol I love your fancy-schmancy shortbread , so festive and really pretty ! I really want those double chocolate chips :D

    Wishing you a Happy Winter Solstice ! I'll drop by on the 25th lol

    ReplyDelete