Monday, January 6, 2014

Kamquat Nastar Rolls


I got really attracted by this kamquat nastar rolls when i saw Mel of Through the Kitchen Door made them last year. Mel loves kamquat a lot and always very excited when she talks about kamquats...and that makes me think of Mel whenever i see kamquat...and also you know something, whenever i read roast chicken , i will think of Phong Hong!



I have to thank Mel for her explanation to go about making the kamquat filling Thank you, Mel! The process isnt as tedious as what i thought. After boiling the kamquats till soft, we put it in the blender to puree it, we need not drain the kamquat as we need the liquid to do the blending. I just ladle them into the blender as it is and we need not use all the syrup otherwise the puree will be runny. Sorry if you find it difficult to understand what i am talking about... or otherwise if you want to drain it, then you just pour the syrup bit by bit till the thickness is achieved. I would suggest make this a day earlier and keep in the fridge as it gets thicken up a bit after that. Also when removing the seeds, remove the small small tiny ones too ( if you can see them ) cos they are bitter just like in oranges.



this is how the filling looks like after blending and after a day in the fridge...



I am baking along with Joyce and Zoe and our theme is Chinese New Year cookies. If you are baking any cookies for Chinese New Year, you can link it up with us. The linky will be extended up till Jan27, 2014.


Recipe
yields about 75 pieces
Kamquat filling ( inspired from Through The Kitchen Door, pastry dough from Nasi Lemak Lover )
640gm kamquat ( cut into halves and remove the seeds. This is the weight after deseeded )
300gm water
200gm sugar

Method
Put the deseeded kamquat together with water and sugar in a deep saucepan and boil till the kamquat turns translucent, approx 40 mins. Reserve the syrup.

Remove the kamquat ( you need not drain the kamquat , just scoop them up with a ladle ) and blend them into puree. If you find that the puree is a little thick, you can add in the boiled kamquat syrup by tablespoon. ( i added 2 more tablespoons of syrup ) . Remove from blender, let cool and keep in the fridge. Prepare this a day earlier, it will thicken a bit after refrigerating.

Pastry dough
175gm butter, softened
50gm condensed milk
255gm plain flour
1 egg yolk
extra egg yolk for glazing

Method:
Cream butter and condensed milk till light. Add in egg egg yolk and beat till combined.
Mix in flour till it becomes a soft but not sticky dough.
Put dough into a nastar mould and press out long strips about 6mm
Place kamquat filling onto one edge of the strip and make a small elongated roll and brush with egg wash.
Bake in a preheated oven at 170C for 15-18 mins or till golden brown. ( i baked mine for 18 mins )
Cool on wire racks before storing in a tight container. ( as the filling is not cooked like pineapple jam as in pineapple tarts, i would suggest refrigerate after storing them for a few days at room temperature )



get the InLinkz code

43 comments:

  1. Happy new year to you, Lena. I see everybody is busy baking for CNY now ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saw kamquat was selling at fruit stall lately, and your recipe just the right time for me to try out this new flavour, thanks lena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena,

    I felt the same too... Kamquat reminds me of Mel too. Roast chicken reminds you of Phong Hong... LOL!

    I love to try this alternative nastar rolls but still finding hard to give up my extra time to make these alternative ones and would rather use them to bake the traditional pineapple ones :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow i need to try this... a nice and zesty change from pineapple.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. halo lena miss,
    may i know beside using kumquat,,can we used
    small/ baby oranges,,,hopw u can help,,thx--
    melisa--sg,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry i dont know as this is my first time trying out with kamquat...are the small oranges you mentioned sour or sweet ..you can try and adjust the sugar accordingly.

      Delete
  6. wah..kumquat tarts..tis is interesting...i bot my tart mould 2yrs ago but i wasnt sure of making them in such way... and having these as a new flavor..i need to see if my curiousity will override my laziness...;))
    I will post my traditional pineapple tarts soon in this Bake Along^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful rolls! I am thinking of giving this a try too for a change, maybe sometime nearer to the date :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep reminds me of Mel too! I have seen these kamquat being sold but didn't thought of making them for pineapple tarts, was too busy searching for pineapples lol! Seems like the whole market has ran out of morris pineapples! Looks like a yummy alternative, maybe I should try this next time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love to make filling with kumquat but I hardly find any the fruits here. Love your rolls! It sounds not hard to make the filling compare with pineapple jam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy new year Lena。

    I like your roll cookies very much. Look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im here....Im here.....looking at your pictures already makes me drool and so craving to have some now. So beautiful and looking so delicious! Looking at other kumquats bakes when I dont have any to indulge in is really cruel.....lol..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. go get some kumquat and start work :D thx again!

      Delete
  12. By teh 1st glimpse without reading the title, I would have thought that these are pineapple tarts. They look so cute in the rolls! Must be tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the kamquat filling! These cookies look amazing, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! lovely CNY cookies. I got to hurry up to get all my ingredients so that I can start my CNY cookies asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lena,
    Making the nastar rolls with kumquat filling is a delicious idea! Your cookies looks good!
    And yes, Kumquat=Mel, and Roast Chicken=PH!! Bingo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea to make with kumquat filling. Must try next time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena, I like kumquat color but I have never tried eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so pretty, would love to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena , just pass me a few and I will be real quiet and happy , just gorgeous , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love kamquat and your kamquat nastar rolls version looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lena, very special nastar rolls with kamquat paste. Would love to try. Bookmarked for later not this year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kamquat rolls! Very interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooo this sounds less tedious than pineapple jam... maybe I can try this too! Thanks a lot for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think I'd prefer kumquat filling to pineapple... sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. They look so pretty and yummy!
    Happy new year,dear!
    Kisses from Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  26. never know what to use our kumquats with and now I have a recipe that is perfect for them. YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Special for me instead of ordinary pineapple rolls, must be vry moist inside~ Yum~
    Happy New Year, Lena! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lena, I have not tried kamquat tart before but looks very nice especially the color, so appetitising.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness, Lena. They look just lovely. The thought of the kumquats all nestled in those rolls almost makes them look to lovely to eat. Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi, Lena, I guess this kam guat roll is as good as pineapple roll!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, roast chicken think of me? How nice hee..hee..Pineapple rolls/tarts are a must have for CNY. I love to eat them. Aiyah....haven't lost any weight yet tsk..tsk..tsk...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful kumquat rolls and I can imagine Mel clapping her hands with glee.

    ReplyDelete
  33. hello Lena...ingat kak Q lagi?
    apa khabar sikembar yang comel tu..tentu dah besar kan...? dah berapa abad kita tak jumpa? hehe

    Lena, bila nampak kuih raya yg cantik ni, akak mcm dah terdengar2 lagu "kongsi kongsi kongsi ni"
    rasanya tak lama lagi kan? nak sikit boleh? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. halo kak! delighted to see you here! boleh nyanyi kongsi kongsi kongsi ni, dahsyat you! si kembar tu jadi si gemuk..hehe..

      Delete
  34. I've never seen anything like this Lena. They are so pretty and sound wonderful. You always have something fun and interesting to share! Hope you're having a good start to 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Lena, Happy New Year to you and your family in 2014!
    The kamquat paste looks so pretty and must be very yummy too! Will bookmark this recipe and make it when I'm free. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lena , I love those rolls ! The kumquat filling sounds wonderful and I'm sure tastes really good :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great idea using kumquats, since ready made pineapple paste is unavailable here in Belgium and fresh pineapple paste is tedious to make. I suppose I can use small sweet mandarins or clementines and make them into pillow shape or ball shape, cos I dun have a nastar mould? Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi B, the above kamquat are blended together with the peels as their peels can be eaten and not bitter..if the peel of the said oranges or clementine are bitter, then i think can be substituted

      Delete
  38. Hi Lena , Looks so lovely & sedaplicious ! Love the idea of using kumquat filling ! YUMMY! ;)

    ReplyDelete