Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hot Milk Sponge Cake


This is a nice sponge cake or maybe a nice tea cake. It is fairly simple to make and no egg separation needed. A little different compared to making a normal sponge cake where hot milk mixture is added into the batter, hence the name and it yields a very moist texture to the cake. There are various hot milk sponge cake recipes on the internet and this original recipe comes from Tish Boyle . I also see some pictures on the internet of this cake that really shows a very airy kind of texture, mine was not exactly airy of fluffy but still i regard it as one nice cake to be eaten on its own. I can have few slices at one time. Because i never thought of doing any frosting and just want to remain it plain, i did not reduce much sugar. At times i do think simple cake like this or butter cake is just so comforting.



As i'm writing this post, Malaysia is now playing the Thomas Cup 2014 badminton finals against Japan. At least this is something good to hear after a few unfortunate events happening in the country, Cmon Malaysia, Fight!


Recipe  ( from www.atkokken.com ) with slight changes
makes one 9 inch cake
Ingredients
135gm sifted cake flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4tsp salt
1/2 cup whole milk/120ml ( i used 100ml )
4 tbsp /57gm unsalted butter
3 large eggs
3/4cup/150gm sugar ( i used 120gm )
1tsp vanilla extract

Directions
Position the rack in the center of oven and preheat oven to 350F/175C. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and slat 2 times and set aside.

In a small saucepan, combine butter and milk and heat over medium heat just until butter is melted. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs with bubble whisk attachment until well combined and frothy, about one minute.Gradually add in sugar and vanilla extract and continue beating at high speed for 6 mins until pale and tripled in volume. Sift one third of flour mixture over egg foam and gently fold it with a rubber spatula. repeat with remaining flour in 2 more additions. Heat up milk to just until boil. Add in all at once to the egg mixture and gently fold it to combine.

Pour batter into a 9 inch cake tin and bake the cake for 20-25mins until it springs back and a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 mins and invert the cake onto the wire rack and let it cool completely.

I am linking this post to Little Thumbs Up event organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Tze of AwayofMind Bakery House with the theme 'MILK'


On another note, i would like to inform that there is a Rice Cooker Cake Challenge over at Everybody Eats Well in Flanders...meaning baking cakes using a rice cooker instead. So to those of you who do not own an oven or interested to know more abt baking using a rice cooker, please hop over to Everybody Eats Well in Flanders. You can find a list of bloggers who had tried and posted their cakes and recipes using rice cooker there.

19 comments:

  1. Hi Lena , what a mouth watering cake , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,

    I didn't know that you are a badminton fan :p

    I have read great reviews of this recipe before. I have bookmarked it but still finding time to bake it :p Yours is very soft and fluffy lah... You are too modest saying that yours is not fluffy enough :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe I have bookmarked for the longest time! Let's see whether I am up to it soon. A pity I don't own a rice cooker as I cook my rice in a steamer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So light anf fluffy. Bet it will finish in no time with a cup of tea or coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen this post before but too chicken to try...afraid the batter might sink when adding the hot milk lol! Ya, I have been reading up the rice cooker cakes which looks interesting...maybe I would give that a try just to satisfy my curiosity:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena, last time when I made the sponge cake with whole egg, I failed, the egg came out dense so after that, I don't dare to try beating the whole egg anymore but using egg-separation method. You are an excellent baker, your sponge cake looked perfectly baked there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake looks soft and fluffy, must agree with you that these type of cakes are truly comforting. Reading from the instructions, it sounds like quite a challenge for me, i wonder if i will be able to fold in the hot milk properly without deflating the meringue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you can have a few slices, i can clean up the rest for ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena, this sponge cake looks delicious, soft and fluffy. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena! Looks like your sponge cake turned out well. Me haven't bake a proper sponge cake yet. I want to try. If it didn't work out, maybe I can use it to make trifle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lena, I never like sponge cakes but now I'm looking into it. Yours look so soft, moist and delicate. Must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lena, this sponge cake looks soft and fluffy, i can have a few slices in one go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great looking sponge cake, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lena, your sponge cake looks fluffy & soft to me . Looks like a great tea time treat that I love . Thanks for sharing this recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa I like! I like anything with the word milk in it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena, your sponge cake texture looks so fine and soft, I like :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like a nice light cake! I am thinking it might be nice with some berries...

    ReplyDelete
  18. it looks like the most moist sweetest light cake I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Howdy Lena! Your cake looks so airy. I'm sure you'll have more time in the kitchen on this school holiday. Enjoy & have a fabulous week ahead.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete