Thursday, May 29, 2014

Kerala Style Chicken Curry


I love curry, so i thought of trying out this kerala style indian curry dish. It turns out to be quite heavily spiced for me. This curry is also a bit unusual from the indian curry that i normally had at the indian restaurant but anyway i have never tried a kerala curry before. There are quite a long list of ingredients needed but most are already available in my kitchen here except for bay leaf and that is why i did not put in the bay leaf as  required.  The herbs and spices were roasted and then grinded to powder form before adding it to the cooking process later. The taste of some spices are quite significant here but i'm not sure if it comes from the coriander powder or everything in all. I am just okay towards this curry, kerala style curry is quite popular and i am very sure a lot of people love it , just that this is not too favourite on my tastebuds. I have also made an indian spiced vegetable to go along with this dish to serve with rice , i love that and will be posting it next.


Recipe ( adapted from here )
Ingredients
For marination
Chicken 1/2 kg, chopped into pieces
Chilli powder 1tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Salt 1/2 tsp

Dry Roast
Fennel seeds 3/4tsp
Cardamon 2 pods
Cinnamon stick 5 ( around 2 inches )
Cloves 4
Bay Leaf 1 ( omitted )
Dried Red Chilli 2
Coriander Seeds 1 tbsp
Black Peppercorns 1/2 tsp

For Gravy
Coconut Oil/ Vegetable Oil  2tbsp
Mustard Seeds 1/2 tbsp
Dried Red Chilli 3
Onion 1 , chopped finely
Ginger Garlic paste 1 tbsp ( i used 1/2 tbsp each of chopped ginger and garlic )
Thick coconut milk 1 cup ( i didnt use all, left abt 50ml )
Garam Masala 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves 1 sprig

Directions
Marinate the chicken for about an hour. Dry roast the ingredients mentioned in dry roast in a wok or pan until slightly brown , about few minutes. Transfer the dry roasted ingredients to a food processor or mill and grind to coarse powder

In a pan or wok, add the oil.When hot add the mustard seeds. When it splutters, add the dried chilli . curry leaves and stir for a minute. Add chopped onions and saute till soft. Add in the ginger garlic paste. Put in the chicken and sprinkle water ( from time to time ) to allow to cook.

When it is half cooked ( about 10minutes ), add the ground powder and mix well .Stir and cover the pan to allow the chicken to cook further, about 2-3 minutes. Add the coconut milk and salt.Cook till curry becomes thick. If it's very thick, add a little water. Add in the garam masala and cook for another 5 minutes. Dish up and serve immediately.



I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest- Indian Subcontinent hosted by Chef and Sommelier

11 comments:

  1. Lena, your Kerala Style Chicken Curry looks good but too bad you were not too impressed with it. I bookmark and try it, OK? Maybe I will like it hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am never a fan of indian cuisine..but I must say that your curry do look inviting.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the curry looks really good! Must be bursting with great flavors from the spices you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this looks and sounds awesome!! I just made a Thai curry dish, but from a jar :x I need to spend some time in the kitchen, whipping something like this up!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you have put in some effort to try cooking some Indian cuisine. Im sure this dish is very favourful and fragrant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love spicy stuff and am sure this suits me real good as it looks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kerala curry looks authentic and scrumptious, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not really a fan of Indian food but your curry definitely looks appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lena, I love spice food too but sometimes, it is the long list of ingredients that put me off from cooking at home because most of the ingredients will only be used for 1 recipe, hehe. This dish of chicken curry, kerala style looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always tell myself I need to try some just okay new recipes to find those that are really wonderful. That only gets really hard if I get three in a row I don't love ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lena,
    Your curry looks really delicious! Sorry to hear that it is too spiced for you. I like curries like this, and I would enjoy eating this dish. Got anymore-ah? Maybe I could come over and help you finish it! :)

    ReplyDelete