Saturday, May 31, 2014

Spiced Indian Yellow Cabbage


If you are a frequent visitor to the indian banana leaf restaurant, you may be familiar with this veggie dish. It is often served as a side dish alongside with some other veggies like stir fried beansprouts, sauteed chopped spinach to name a few. Its bright yellow colour of the dish comes from the turmeric powder, though hardly detectable so i guess its purpose is more for colour. I cant really recall if the dish comes with dried anchovies or ikan bilis but to me it is a good addition. We can add more water and cook a little longer if we want the cabbage to be a little more softer or if we want it to be more crunchier, we just put less water. To me, i really enjoy eating this veggie dish, cabbage is sweet, a lovely vibrant dish and great for accompanying some curry dishes.




Recipe ( from Yum Yum Magazine April/May 2012 Issue ) sightly changed
Ingredients A
2tbsp oil
Handful of dried anchovies ( ikan bilis ), washed and drained
300gm cabbage, shredded
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
some water

Ingredients B
1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
2 pips garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 dried chillis, cut into 1 cm length
1 green chilli, shredded
1-2 sprigs curry leaves

Salt to taste

Directions
Heat up oil, add dried anchovies/ikan bilis and fry until lightly brown. Remove and set aside.
In the same wok, stir fry mustard seeds, chopped garlic and diced onion until aromatic. Add the dried chillies, green chilli and curry leaves and stir well.

Put in the shredded cabbage, a little water and stir fry until well mixed. Add in the turmeric powder. Lastly, add in the fried ikan bilis and salt to taste. Dish up and serve.


I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Indian Subcontinent ) hosted by Chef And Sommelier


Also linking this post to Cook Your Books #12 hosted by Kitchen Flavours

15 comments:

  1. 到nasi kandar吃饭时候。我都会吃这个黄色包菜。嘻嘻。

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I remember this yellow cabbage very well, comes as a side dish in indian restaurants…yours got be good with extra flavor from ikan bilis:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena, this is available at most Mamak Rice stalls. I like to fry cabbage and spinach this way too but my mom can't accept it. Next time, I'll add ikan bilis to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite veggie dish at indian restaurants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is also one Indian side dish I enjoy when I eat at Indian restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds just right. I have not seen yellow cabbage though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena,
    Cabbages is one of the veggie dishes that I would always include in my Indian rice takeaway. This looks just like the ones that is served at Indian restaurants. And cabbages is one of my favourite veggies, any style it is done. I would take a big portion of this cabbage dish! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena! I also cooked this but forgot to post hah...hah...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena, I think I have this before or may be not, can't really recall now. I love the sweet taste of the cabbage. I used to eat cabbage more often in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena,
    Love the bright yellow color of this veggie dish.
    I always love the sweetness of cabbage and yours are with ikan bilis, it will be more yum!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  11. i would love to top this on my veggie burger tonight! it would be so great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just reading how healthy turmeric is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena, I happen to love cabbage hot or cold, and for me...this is a new recipe that I would love to try!
    Looks and sound really delicious, and I love the idea of the addition of the turmeric which gives it such a pretty yellow color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG!! This is exactly what I am looking for! I am buying mustard seeds today!

    ReplyDelete