Thursday, July 10, 2014

Japanese Dark Pearl Chocolate Chiffon Cake




After seeing numerous of my blogging friends baking this chiffon cake for the past few months, i am now into action to bake one. Although chocolate chiffon is quite common, you know i have not tasted one before as far as i can remember. The most type i have eaten are orange chiffon and pandan chiffon which i think are the popular ones. I would also like to try out coffee because i have not eaten one too...which i also think it's a nice flavour.

I read from Ellena's blog that this recipe of dark pearl chocolate chiffon has long existed many years ago from Aunty Yochana.  I am not aware of this chiffon until only recently when some of you baked it and i also agree with what has been said about the cake, very chocolatey and nice. I dont know how if it's being compared to a normal chocolate chiffon or a double chocolate chiffon but i find this chiffon really nice. Hope those who have not tried it will give it a try too in the future.


i dont know why there is a thin chocolate skin surrounding the cake...look at the first picture too..perhaps this could be the dark pearls that the cake is wearing...heheheh.. 

I am baking along with Joyce and Zoe and Chiffon cakes is our Bake along theme starting today up till 19July2014. Are all welcomed to join us , please do not link sponge cakes or angel cakes ya! Bye!



Recipe ( from Baking Diary )
Ingredients
5 egg yolks ( mine about 110gm )
60gm vegetable oil
100gm full cream milk
130gm dark chocolate, break into pieces ( i used Hershey's special dark )
55gms plain flour
25gm cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Meringue
5 egg whites ( mine abt 215gm )
80gm sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Directions
First melt chocolate over double boiler or microwave. Stir until smooth and set aside to cool.

Stir the egg yolks and oil together, then stir in the milk and the slightly warm melted chocolate. Sift in the flour and mix to a smooth batter.

In the mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar till foamy and add in the sugar, beat till stiff peaks. Fold  in the meringue to the egg yolks batter in 3 batches till no traces of egg whites can be seen. Pour into a 20cm chiffon pan, gently knock the pan on the table to release air bubbles. Bake in a preheated oven at 170C for about 45-50 minutes. Remove and invert cake to cool.



get the InLinkz code

33 comments:

  1. Lena, I am amazed with the sides of this chiffon cake..it is totally flawless!!! So chocolately and spongey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had Chiffon Cake in a very long time, Lena. They were once very popular here in the states I think around the 50s. Yours looks absolutely delectable! I would love just a teeny slice pleeze..:) Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena!
      I joined the Bake Along! Come See:)

      Delete
  3. Bookmarked to do. Lovely and I can imagine the chocolaty taste and flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake looks unbelievable!! I only wish I could reach into my computer screen and have a bite

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great and perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena, really love this Japanese Dark Chocolate chiffon ... I could only admire !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw some bloggers and Ann doing this cake and thought it looks very good. I tried my hands on it last week but failed horribly .... :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, I am curious about the chiffon cake too. Must try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 这个蛋糕真的好好吃,我还在怀念着呢!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought u frost the sides of the chiffon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chiffon cake looks PERFECT! Loved the beautiful texture. I was so 'blur', when I saw Japanese dark pearl chocolate chiffon, I went looking for the pearl, wondering what was that. Haha, of course I didn't find any. Thanks for sharing, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I love the skin on the outer layer of your cake, very nice! I thought you covered it with a plastic sheet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My me! Look at that piece of sexy chocolate lady there... Ur cake is just immaculate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must try to bake this too... I like the name. It's so mystical!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lena,
    Your chiffon cake looks really nice! I thought you have made a chocolate glaze around the cake! This cake looks really moist and velvety soft, I would love to try it one day too.
    And yes, coffee chiffon cake is really nice and fragrant, try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is gorgeous!! the sides are so smooth!! and i love the dark dark brown!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lena, skin around the cake or not, it still looks perfect to me!! I've tried other chocolate chiffon and this chiffon cake as well. I must say that this chiffon cake is so much more chocolatey than the other ones. I heart this!! Yours look so good. I can eat more than 1 slice in a sitting for sure :):)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena,

    Thin dark skin??? I think your Jap dark pearl chocolate chiffon cake is wearing the classic "little black dress" to match its pearly pores :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena, Fro some unknown reasons, I have never baked this Japanese dark pearl chocolate chiffon cake. First saw this in Aunty Yochana blog many years ago. I hope soon. Lovely dark and moist looking chiffon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Lena...I saw many bloggers bake this too....I believe this must be a good chiffon cake!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lena, I'm totally drooling over your simple, but sooo beautiful dark chocolate Chiffon Cake, that is just amazing, and light as a 'feather'! No need to make this fancy...that is the BEAUTY of this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello!

    I saw Your blog and I thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite You to our new culinary website which has just started.

    This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from Your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

    For more please visit:
    http://tastyquery.com

    TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

    In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lena, I love this chiffon cake too. Is really very soft and moist, definitely a keeper cake!
    I've just linked my chiffon cake to Bake Along. Thank you for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lena, your chocolate chiffon cake looks perfect...I love the texture of it...
    Have a great week :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. This chiffon does have a very unique name and you made it live up to its name if that's what it is! I must agree that it does have a very shiny and smooth 'necklace' around it :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks wonderful--I have never baked a chiffon cake... Very tough to look at these wonderful pictures before breakfast ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. another popular chiffon cake that I have yet to try.

    ReplyDelete