Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Taisan ( Filipino Sponge Cake )


Some call it a chiffon cake, some call it a sponge cake. Whether it is a chiffon or sponge cake, it is one tasty cake. But if i were to label it, i would call it a sponge cake. But this is not an ordinary plain sponge cake, taisan is a popular cake in the Philippines and it comes with butter, sugar and cheese toppings and that's this topping that makes it delicious for me, sweet and a little saltiness. Not just the topping is delicious, i somehow like the texture of the cake very much. It reminds me of those soft old fashioned sponge cakes that is layered with buttercream that i get from market. It is moist, soft and compact. Let it sit for a few hours before eating, it gets even better.



I however had used 5 egg whites instead of 6 and i dont know an additional egg whites will make it more lighter but folding the egg yolks batter into the meringue was quite a daunting task because the egg yolks batter is quite thick and heavy, unlike the batter for making chiffon or sponge cakes and so i had separated the folding part into 3 parts, the first third to lighten the batter and the remaining two thirds to fold in. The recipe which i got from did not have the pan measurement so i had used a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan plus a 16cm chiifon pan and baked in 2 separate ovens. The chiffon one i did not put any toppings and tasted rather plain by itself, so that is not taisan :)


oh yeah, line the sides of the pan too. I didnt do it, so you see the sides are coming off..


Recipe ( from here with some changes )
Ingredients
125gm  + 4 tbsp cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
egg yolks from 4 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract ( i skipped this )
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk ( i used 1/4 cup full cream milk + 2 tbsp )
1.5 tbsp water ( skipped )
1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted ( skipped )
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Meringue
Egg whites of 6 large eggs ( i used from 5 large eggs )
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar

Toppings
softened or melted butter
sugar
grated cheese ( i used cheddar )

Directions
Preheat oven to 160C . Line the bottom and sides of pan with parchment paper. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.

In a big bowl, combine egg yolks, vanilla extract, sugar, milk, water, butter and oil. Using electric mixer, mix until well blended. Add dry ingredients and continue mixing until batter is smooth. Scrape once in a while and set aside. ( Batter is quite thick )

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add in the sugar gradually and beat till  medium peak forms. Take 1/3 of the meringue and mix with the egg yolks batter to thin the batter. Take the remaining meringue and fold in the egg yolks batter , i did the remaining meringue in 2 batches. Pour batter into prepared pan ( i filled 50% of my loaf pan )and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean. ( i covered the cake with foil paper after baking for 20 minutes when it starts showing a small crack line, i baked for about 35 minutes )

Let it stand for 10 minutes on the pan before removing from pan. Brush the top lightly with butter, sprinkle with sugar and after cooling down more, sprinkle with cheese. Wrap unfinished cake with cling paper.

Original recipe states makes one loaf pan. I had used a 9"x5" loaf pan plus a 16cm chiffon tube pan to fill in all the batter 



I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Philippines ) hosted by The Sweet Spot

23 comments:

  1. I can see that this cake is indeed soft and with that cheese toppings, it make this cake sounds extra yummy and delicious. Got to try it out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena!
    Wow! That is one gorgeous cake! So soft and spongy. It seems to be a bit complicated for me. Would you mind saving me some? I'd love to try it! You did GREAT! Oh where oh where do you find the patience to assemble such goodness:) Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...I may just be dreaming about this cake tonight no matter what it's called!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so moist yet so light and soft. Good work, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena!

    Every slice of your chiffon / sponge cake looks so beautiful! It is fluffy with cheesy topping! Sounds yummy to me!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, these cakes are very delicious.. We used to have them in small little square-shaped cakes topped with the cheese & sugar...very nice indeed.. and you have got it all there Lena :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena , onl two words needed ... yummy ... delicious . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena! So this is somewhat sweet and savoury. Nice combination and the texture looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious! This is one cake that I would love to try! I like the look of the crumbs too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the topping, sound very delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cake looks soft! I am sure if i bake this, my Filipino friends will be delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lena, this reminds of the Chinese steamed sponge cake... with the evaporated milk, I am sure its very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never heard or ate before about this Filipino cake. Another new cake for trying, wow! My to-di-list .......is longer,hah.....hah.....Anyway thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena,This cake is totally new to me, it tastes like chiffon cake too? Hopes to have a piece from you, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooo you are tempting me to make this cake too! I like the sound of a sweet, slightly salty cake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Lena, I wish I could just reach across the screen and grab a slice of your most amazing...Chiffon Cake, is what I would call it! Light, airy, and super, super delicious...a recipe that I would like to grab, and hold onto! Thanks for sharing...still just eying it, and drooling! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. could not look more moist! So delicious

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena, this cake is quite unique ... sweet and savoury cheesy topping. It looked moist and soft too ... hope to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks amazing!! I am up to try any kind of cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How interesting with the cheese topping--would love a taste!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena,
    This cake looks really nice with wonderful texture. I have not heard of this cake, but then I know next to nothing about Philippines cakes! All I know is, I wish to have a slice right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce , I'm a Filipino and I don't even know squat about our cakes :P

      Delete
  21. Lena , I haven't heard about this cake until now or maybe we just call it differently in our own local dialect :D It looks good though and the cheese topping sounds yum !

    ReplyDelete